Role-playing games have two major components: characters and the storyline those characters interact with. In the ‘world’ of Savage Worlds, the storyline is typically defined by the campaign setting or plot point campaign run by the GM. Characters, however, are typically defined by the creativity of the player in the form of a character concept and background. The player then uses the Savage Worlds core rulebook, Companion books, and setting guides to translate that character concept and background into in-game mechanics. Pretty simple… but what do you do when you can’t quite translate that character concept and background into the proper in-game mechanics?
Ultimate Characters Guide was designed to address that issue, and go quite a bit further. Why stop at player characters when a GM may have the same issue? Thus, Ultimate Characters Guide addresses PCs and NPCs (beasts, creatures, villains, humanoids, aliens, etc.) through a series of new options, new ideas, and new implementations of the same Savage Worlds mechanics. There’s no need to create all new mechanics, just find a different way to use the current ones to great effect.
Ultimate Characters Guide includes:
- Creating racial/background templates using a collection of physical, mental, and environmental aspects for all types of characters.
- New universal Hindrances and Edges to add to the core rulebook, usable within any setting.
- Two new types of skill uses: Supporting Skills and Complementary Skills. These new skill uses increase the possibilities for Group Rolls and the use of Knowledge bases.
- A collection of Knowledge bases to choose from and how they can be applied to games using Supporting Skills and Complementary Skills.
- A collection of Monstrous Abilities and how they translate to in-game use.
- Ways to make encounters interesting and memorable through combat balance that doesn’t require increasing Toughness.
Get more out of your characters and encounters with the Ultimate Characters Guide for Savage Worlds!
Type – RPG Supplement
Authors – Aaron T. Huss
System – Savage Worlds
Release Date – May 15, 2014; February 1, 2018
Sample – A look at using skills as Supporting Skills.