Shadowed Earth Online
Shadowed Earth is a fantasy horror alternate history of Earth from the dawn of the planet to the near future. This version of Earth’s history depicts actual events in a new, chaotic light along with adding many elements of its own to enhance the overall storyline. Shadowed Earth adds-in many elements from mythology and folklore, making them real and giving them a purpose. This alternate history is depicted as such to present a collection of settings for tabletop role-playing games, fiction, and possibly more. It is a work of fiction and is published by Mystical Throne Entertainment, from the creative mind of Aaron T. Huss.
Shadowed Earth Online is a collection of free premium content and inspirational material only available online (as opposed to being offered via PDF). The benefit of a website over traditional PDF releases is that the content is always available and doesn’t require transporting of a file between devices. Thus, if you’re running a game and need to add something extra, simply log onto the website and grab what you need. There’s no need to download, but you can print as desired.
Shadowed Earth is a systemless setting designed to be used within any application, game, or setting desired. However, much of the content presented in Shadowed Earth Online is designed for specific system use and is not open game content, unless otherwise specified. This includes licensed settings for Savage Worlds, Third Party Publications for Legend, and settings powered by the Entropic Gaming System. All Savage Worlds content is licensed and not usable as open game content. All Legend and Entropic Gaming System content is part of the OGL with open content being defined within each post. All Beyond the Firelight and Little Heroes content is supported by Creative Commons. You can, however, use it all freely within your home games.
Please see the following Savage Worlds copyright:
This website references the Savage Worlds game system, available from Pinnacle Entertainment Group at www.peginc.com. Savage Worlds and all associated logos and trademarks are copyrights of Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Used with permission. Pinnacle makes no representation or warranty as to the quality, viability, or suitability for purpose of this product. Shadowed Earth is © Mystical Throne Entertainment.
Please see the following Legend and Entropic Gaming System Open Game License:
Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Product Identity as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a, Section 2(e) and are not Open Content: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names, dialogue, plots, storylines, locations, artwork and trade dress.
Open Content: Except for material designated as Product Identity (see above), the game mechanics throughout Shadowed Earth Online premium content are Open Game Content, as defined in the Open Gaming License version 1.0a Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission.
Open Game License Version 1.0A
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13 Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Open Game License v 1.0 ©2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Open Game License v1.0a. Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast Inc.
Legend Core Rulebook: ©2011, Mongoose Publishing Ltd; Author Lawrence Whitaker and Pete Nash
Entropic Gaming System Core Rulebook: ©2014, Mystical Throne Entertainment; Author Aaron T. Huss
Cryptozoology #01: Chaos Realm: ©2015, Mystical Throne Entertainment; Author Aaron T. Huss
Shadowed Earth also encompasses a number of official and licensed settings while being available for personal use to create any setting desired using its canon. For the sake of ease-of-use for Shadowed Earth Online, here is a brief explanation of the settings placed within the Shadowed Earth alternate history.
Beyond the Firelight
Beyond the Firelight is a multi-era setting rooted in folkloric horror, made real by the Shadowed Earth setting, that can take place in any age. Characters assume the role of common folk during the chosen period, facing down the horrors that threaten their villages and towns. It can be run as investigative or survival horror.
Faith & Demons: The Rising
Faith & Demons: The Rising is placed during the latter half of the Dark Ages leading up to the apocalyptic event that plummets the world into being controlled by the chaos realm. Players assume the roles of great warriors banding together to fight against the rising tide of demons, undead, and the humans that support them. Although the plot point campaign has the PCs championing a massive battle against the Armies of Chaos and hopefully prevailing, the Shadowed Earth canon holds a much darker secret.
Faith & Demons: The Rising combines the fantasy horror of Shadowed Earth with the mythology of the Dark Ages.
The 1st Edition of Faith & Demons: The Rising is currently available. However, a complete relaunch of the setting will occur in 2017-2018 to coincide with the multi-era, fantasy horror alternate history of Shadowed Earth. This new version will also focus more on the core battles, starting with the Byzantine Empire, instead of encompassing all of Europe and parts of Asia. This version will be compatible with the 1st Edition, with only minor changes necessary (which will be explained in the setting guide). Stay tuned for Faith & Demons: The Rising 2.0!
The Fallen is a multi-era setting that combines the fantasy horror of Shadowed Earth with divine fantasy and gothic horror. Characters who are part of The Fallen are near-immortal beings with god-like abilities. These fallen warriors face down the most vile beings where the Inquisition cannot succeed.
The Fallen is a planned setting for Shadowed Earth and an integral part of its canon. Its development will be announced in the near future.
Holy Quest: The Fall
Holy Quest: The Fall combines the fantasy horror of Shadowed Earth with the First Crusade. It depicts a post-apocalyptic world that is suffering at the hands of the Armies of Chaos. Players assume the role of crusaders that must delve into the chaos realm to free Yahweh’s archangels and rid the world of the chaos that has ensued. It will be developed as a plot-point setting.
Holy Quest: The Fall is a planned setting for Shadowed Earth and an integral part of its canon. Its development will be announced in the near future.
Judgment Day is a multi-era setting where characters assume the role of supernatural hunters, as inquisitors or part of an inquisitor’s retinue, combating all otherworldly threats and the occult. The core rulebook allows for gameplay during the Middle Ages, Victorian era, and modern day.
Judgment Day combines the fantasy horror of Shadowed Earth with beings of legend and folklore.